Engineering comes in many streams with the requirement of many different applications. For most engineering students, having a mid-range laptop can serve the purpose. Some may need graphically intensive applications such as AutoCAD and similar software, others may need simulation software. But in general, laptop requirements for Engineering students must meet some crucial features like high speed CPU processor, because they may need to run simulation software, Matlab, AutoCAD and many more. A high volume of hard disk storage capacity is must for software, files, as well for favourite games, movies and songs! Being a vibrant young they must be a multi tasking gig, which definitely demand a large RAM. There is no world without the Internet connectivity and internet, so Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are two important criterias for these laptops. Finally, operating system – when it comes to the workstation for your actual work, all the environments are mostly only native to Windows. So, based on these criteria we have made a consolidated list of 5 best laptops for engineering students.
1. ASUS ZenBook UX330UA-AH54
• Aluminium-alloy body measures 13.5mm
• 13.3-Inch wide-view Full-HD Display with Windows 10 Pre-installed
• Weighs 1.2 kg
• Comes in Rose Gold and Quartz Grey colors
• Latest (7th Gen)Intel Core i5 processor
• 1920 by 1080 resolution
• Comes with Li-Polymer battery with battery life up to 12 hours
• 8 GB of RAM with 512 GB SSD storage
• Dual band AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
• HDMI port
• Two USB 3.0 ports
• An SD card slot
• Wide angle display helps keeping viewer’s eyes stress free
• It comes with Li-Polymer battery which is better if compared to other batteries available in the market.
• With micro HDMI port, one connects it with TVs, projectors or monitors during presentation
• Has multiple visual modes available like normal mode, eye care mode etc. Eye care mode keeps eyes stress free.
• With backlit keyboard you will get visibility in dark.
• You may have to struggle with games as no graphics card available with it
• With smaller screen you can expect better pixel density, but you will get only 1080P
• Compatible for basic tasks but not for video editing or gaming
This is starting to approach a robust workstation for the engineering student who wants to get real work done on the go.
2. Dell Inspiron 7000 i7559 – Best affordable laptop for engineering studentIt is a perfect laptop for engineering students. Being a medium-end laptop which is fully worth the money ,a student can do all types of tasks they need like playing games, watching movies or videos online, running engineering applications, social networking.
• 15.6 inches display with 4k LED-lit Truelife Touch screen
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics card
• Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ processor
• Portable as weighs only 6.1 pounds
• 1 TB hard drive
• 8 GB RAM
• 16 GB DDR3L SDRAM
• 10 hours of battery life
• Comes with Windows 10 Operating System(64bit)
• 802.11ac Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.0
• 2-in-1 SD & MMC Card Reader
• Backlit Keyboard
• Good quality build worth for your money
• Excellent gaming performance for the money
• With a 1 TB hard drive one can comfortably store lots of data at a time.
• Easy multi-tasking with its 8 GB RAM
• An integrated HDMI 1.4a port may be used to output video to an external monitor and is equipped with 4K display support. The display also features touch support so you’ll be able to utilize the multi-touch gestures incorporated into Windows 10. You can swipe, tap, zoom, and resize apps at your preference.
• The audio quality is not as per the standard.
• Although comes with 8GB RAM you need to upgrade it for editing and gaming purpose.
• Slow boot and application launch times
• Screen colors are not appropriate and very glossy.
• Thicker, heavier than most 15.6inch notebooks
From normal computer users to technology gig students, from game lovers to movie lovers, this laptop is useful for all with average price range.
3. ACER ASPIRE E5-575G-75MD
The Acer Aspire E5-575G-75MD is an affordable notebook which can be simultaneously used for work, as well for entertainment purposes.
• 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7500U processor15-inch display
• 8GB DDR4 RAM which is upgradable to 32 GB
• graphics of NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
• Up to 12-hours Battery Life
• Comes with Windows 10 Home 64 bit
• 4 USB ports and 1 HDMI port
• 802.1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth supported
• Back lighted keyboard
• Inbuilt webcam
• Intel Core i7-7500U processor boosts faster processing during rapid processing tasks. It makes all your resources available during work.
• Its wide display is sufficient for most of the engineering projects and for entertainment.
• It comes as one of the best battery life laptops in the market.
• Not ideal for gaming
• Being bit bulky it might not be preferred by people who want to carrying it around
• Along with 256 SSD an external drive is recommended for better performance
• Screen’s very low brightness
• Slow hard drive
• Cooling system should be better
• Uncomfortable keyboard and touchpad
Although holds some downsides the Acer Aspire E5-575G-75MD ideal for engineering students looking for a nice budget.
4. HP ProBook 450 G4 –Best laptop with light weight
• Intel Core i7-7500U processor(7th gen)
• Intel HD 620 graphics
• 1920 by 1080 pixels resolution.
• Backlit keyboard
• USB-C port
• 1 TB HDD
• 8 GB DDR4 RAM
• 802.11ac Wireless, Bluetooth, VGA Ports, HDMI,
• Comes with Windows 10 Professional 64
• Weighs 2.6 lbs
• Huge hard drive space ideal to store files for future use
• You can play high-end games easily on this system
• Good casing, pleasant casing, precision touchpad, decent performance, diverse interfaces, long battery life
• Sturdy and innovative design,
• Excellent input devices,
• Supports M.2 SATA SSDs
• High temperatures in the stress test
• very unreliable fingerprint scanner,
• abysmal TN screen,
• no docking port,
• no TrackPoint
• Only one USB-A 3.0 connector,
• Low contrast screen with narrow sRGB coverage,
• You cannot access the battery
This is a budget laptop and highly recommended for college students who want to carry a lighter laptop in budget price.
5. Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E570 – Excellent performanceThis PC offers a good amount of features with an acceptable price. Furthermore, Lenovo laptops are famous for stability and reliability.
• Intel Dual Core i5-7200U Processor
• Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
• 1366×768 HD Screen
• In built Intel HD 620 graphics Card
• 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD
• Fingerprint Reader
• RAM and Hard Drive Upgrade
• Weighs 2.3 kg
• Available with the best joystick for laptop
• Rock solid build and great construction
• Longer life span
• Windows 10 is not installed
• Not ideal for gaming or graphical applications
• Low resolution of 1366 x 768.
• Don’t show high performance during multi tasking
This laptop fits the basic needs of engineers who need a portable PC, rather than a workstation. A purchase recommendation can be given for the E570 in total due to the good price-performance ratio. It could be interesting mainly for students who want a laptop with good input devices.
In conclusion, if you have just entered into your engineering and wish to buy a new laptop for then just have the one from the above list of the best laptops for engineering students. As an engineering student if you are looking for something to carry sleek and classy, then MacBook Air is the perfect laptop. But we have not recommended it as you are getting faster high end processor from the above list of laptops in much lower price.